Monday, June 6, 2011

Mr. Darcy and Me

Growing up, I was always a dog person. We had a wonderful yellow lab named Sandy who was a beloved member of our family, and to me, cats were just those other pets crazy old ladies had. After graduating from college, I wanted a pet, but was not ready to be tied down by a dog. My mom suggested adopting a cat, and after doing copious amounts of research, I decided on a Russian Blue because of their temperament and hypoallergenic qualities (which turned out to all be true!). I can tell you, without a doubt, that I'm in love with my cat. Yep, I'm one of those crazy cat ladies. I never saw it coming, but it happened. From the first time I saw Darcy (formerly "Hutch") at his foster home, I loved him. I sat on the floor of the foster mom's living room and he crawled in my lap and purred and purred. I knew from that moment that I wanted to bring him home. Darcy quickly became my "fur baby" and a favorite among my friends and family. He is tirelessly playful, extremely curiou
s, and sweet as can be. He runs to greet me at the door when I get home and immediately begins talking to me in a series of meow's as he leads me to play with his favorite toys. He loves to watch the birds and hunt for bugs on the front porch. That's how he got his nickname "Bug", because any bug that gets anywhere near Darcy meets an unfortunate end (which is great for his Mama who hates bugs). Named after Jane Austen's brooding Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice, Darcy fits the personality of Austen's character perfectly: refined, intelligent, loyal, and extremely affectionate. I picked the name long before I met Darcy, but he it suits him like a glove. I wasn't sure what to expect when I adopted Darcy from IAR, having heard horror stories of adopted pets gone wild. However, I could not be more happy (ecstatic, really) with this new addition to my family. I spoil him rotten and he loves me unconditionally. It's a perfect match: Mr. Darcy and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment